CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Reading Joournal

I finished Marley & Me last week, and it had a really good ending concerning the end of Marley's life. One quotation that I really like from it is, "Animal lovers are a special breed of human, generous spirit, full of empathy, perhaps even a little prone to sentimentality, and with hearts as big as cloudless skies." I really like this quote, because it really sums up what the book was all about and what having a dog is all about. Although the middle was a little slow paced, much like Our Town- in the sense that it was about daily, normal life, I enjoyed the book as a whole, but I particularly preferred the end.

Now, I am reading The Lovely Bones, and I am really interested in it and am already on Chapter 13. This book is about a girl who was raped, then murdered, and is now telling her story, and watching her loved ones' lives continue from heaven. One of the things that amazes me is how genius her murderer was, to dispose of the body, and make himself seem entirely innocent.

Another thing that is very interesting about the book is the perspective that the author has about heaven. In 90 minutes in Heaven, the author describes it as this perfect place that was indescribably amazing, and he is completely oblivious of the life that he had on Earth. Then, when he returns to Earth, he is extremely disappointed that he has to continue his life, because of what he witnessed. In The 5 People You Meet In Heaven, the main character meets people that made a dramatic difference in his life, but he didn't necessarily have a direct and strong relationship with them. In this book Susie, the main character, says that anything she wants she gets, and she spends most of her time watching what others are doing on Earth, and the people that she interacts with in heaven, she didn't know in her life. So, it is very interesting to read and compare the different perceptions of what "heaven" is, since no one truly knows.

I am really addicted to her story, and it always keeps my attention because as soon as I start to get bored, I guess Susie does too, and she changes to see what another character is doing.

0 comments: