CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 1, 2008

First Reading Journal

So far in Breaking Through by Francisco Jiménez, I have found many parts to be very interesting. The overall concept of living on your own with just his brother at the age of fourteen, seemed very brave of him and I admire him for focusing on his school work and doing his regular chores despite the circumstances. It must have been extremely difficult to deal with the responsibilities of adulthood like to have a job, and to be accountable for himself. It also made me think of how different it must be to live your entire life with a large and noisy family and then have to become accustomed to only living with your older brother.

Another part of the book that I found very compelling is when Roberto's boss took him and his brother out to dinner.  It was very surprising to discover that they had never been out to eat before, because personally, we go out to eat about once a week.  Also, I thought that it was very kind of the woman.   Another thing that they hadn't been exposed to a lot was different genres of music, and it was shocking how they had never heard of rock 'n' roll.  However, I was pleased when Francisco had fun with this different type of music in the skit he presented with his group to the class.  I can also relate with Francisco about the Vets dance because at middle school dances it was very similar; not many people danced and many of the boys and girls were seperate.    

When the entire family reunited, it was very emotional and I found it touching.  Francisco wrote that it was the first time that his father had kissed him, so he must have missed him greatly.  I also thought that it was very sensitive of the two older brothers to prepare for their family's homecoming and how they were teary when they arrived.  

When the father reflected on how Ito had sponsored them and how he made it possible for them to get their visas quickly, it reminded me of how my grandfather immigrated to the United States in a similar manner.

I found it very beneficial how Francisco's father instills respect for your elders to his children, because many young people don't have that anymore.  Also, I thought it was very caring how Francisco's dad was in a good mood prior to his 8th grade graduation, and how he gave him his Saint Christopher Medal.        



1 comments:

K. Flewelling said...

Haley, this is an extremely thoughtful journal response. I really appreciate how you highlighted places in text that you liked, and that you gave lots of examples. Thanks for sharing your ideas!