CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reading Journal

Right now I am reading Pretty Little Devils (PLD) and Hazel has just been invited into the popular group (PLD) and is going through an "initiation process." At the end of each chapter, there is an entry from a blog, which is very threatening, and I think could potentially harm someone. A quote that describes these threats are as follows, "Hazel, do you like your new friends? Do you like surprises? You have no idea what's coming. None of them do. I'm just getting started-gearing up for the real thing. You'll see what being a popular girl means....sometimes, it means you have to die." Based on that, my main question is who is this person? Rayna and Mariah always ask me who I think the killer is, but nothing in the chapter obviously suggests that anyone would do something like that. But on the other hand, I could also think of a lot of reasons why someone would do that, but it seems like anyone could be it. My main comment towards this book is about how Hazel wants to be sucked into this cut-throat "popular" world. I understand how she feels like she doesn't have any close friends, but what makes her think that by hanging out with PLD will be any different than when she was hanging out with her old friends?

As I mentioned earlier, Hazel is in the process of becoming a PLD, and so far they have tested her and pulled pranks on her. One prank in particular was very cruel, where while she was babysitting the other members of PLD watched her become terrified of the figure outside the window slowly raise a large knife in front of her. This whole "prank" thing ccame up when they were in middle school, and it started when their leader, Sylvia, banged on some windows. This reminded me of when I was watching When a Stranger Calls. In this movie, a girl has a feeling that there is someone in the house while she is babysitting, and since it is a scary movie, it was very suspenseful when she was searching the house. As she was opening a bathroom door, they were about to reveal what she saw and suddenly we hear real life banging on the windows, and it was my uncle outside trying to spook us even more at that the perfect moment. I could definitely relate to Hazel, because although you may believe that nothing bad could happen to you, just knowing that it has happened to someone else, even if it's just a movie, makes you very nervous and scared.

0 comments: