CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Last Reading Journal for Breaking Through

I just completed Breaking Through and this last part of the book, in my opinion, was the most interesting and inspiring, because all of the loose ends of the book came together to create a beautiful result. In the beginning of this portion of the book, Francisco was starting to get involved with extra curricular activities and taking advantage of what his school had to offer, and I believe that that is what high school is all about; gathering with people who share the same interests as you to have a good time. What made it interesting to read about is that he got involved with things like the Spanish Club (Los Saintitos) and sang a Mexican Song in the Junior Scandals, and those things made him closer to his Mexican heritage and were things that he was very passionate about.

One part of the book I can relate with is when Francisco was collecting newspapers, because last year when I was in newspaper class, I would actively be searching for interesting topics that students would like to learn more about. I can also relate with him greatly when he would be very passionate about a topic that an author would write about, and that happened to me abundantly last year.

It was very surprising to me when Francisco ran for president because of his previous struggles with public speaking and lack of representation of what most of the students might look for in a president. However, I was eager to read about the content of his speech and to discover what the results of the election were.

It was extremely depressing to read about the physical pains that Francisco and his father had to go through, and it was especially sad to read that Francisco was experiencing this at such a young age. It was also very sad when his father had his finger cut off, and the guilt and responsibility that his son had felt for that incident.

The last few chapters were very inspirational to read about because of all the encouraging people who supported Francisco in his endeavor to attend college. All of the concepts concerning college sounded very familiar and repeatedly made me think about how I will go through some of those similar experiences in just a few short years.

Although many people were very helpful, it was very displeasing when he thought that he couldn't achieve his dreams because by doing so he would no longer be able to support his family financially, and be disobeying his father. But it was really satisfying when all of all of his hard work had paid off, and he had finally accomplished his dreams.

1 comments:

K. Flewelling said...

Lots of people say they liked the end better -- maybe I'm crazy, because the part that most stuck out to me was the middle! Or rather, at the beginning, when everything is so hard and he's just trying to figure things out for himself. I wonder what that says about me...?

Thanks for helping Caterina set up her blog! I still need to get her blog information. :)